Interview with Shawn Barron – VP of Urban A&R at Atlantic Records + New Indie Music
When it comes to discovering talent Atlantic Records VP of Urban A&R, Shawn Barron, has the Midas touch and a golden set of ears to match. After discovering some of the most acclaimed hip-hop music artists of today, including Drake and Ty Dolla $ign, Barron has been making his mark as one of the top A&R executives in the music business.
On this episode of The Miews podcast, I sat down with Shawn Barron and asked some of the most frequently asked questions that I get from listeners of the show. It is my hope that by the time you finish hearing it straight from the guy who signs artists, you’ll get some closure on some of the unknowns you’ve been pondering in your journey through the music business.
- Shawn’s track record on famous artists he discovered long before the world knew them
- What projects he’s working on at the moment
- How long it takes before he signs an artist he likes
- What he looks for in an artist before deciding to sign them
- How aspiring A&R can get their foot in the door
- and more…
MUSIC FEATURED INCLUDES:
- Supa Soop – “Sound Like” (Hip-Hop, Rap)
- Jaylon Ashaun – “While You Wait” (R&B, Pop)
- Charley Raiff – “Tongues Out” (Pop, Jazz, Piano Rock)
- Ships Have Sailed – “Out of Time” (Folk, Singer-songwriter)
- Ramsey – “PAY” (Pop, Trip-Hop)
- 3Bubble & J Gray – “No Lie” (Hip-Hop)